If you have made progress on Starfield on either Steam or XBox (PC) and would like to transfer your saves to the opposite platform, thanks to “XGP Save Extractor”, this is now entirely possible. I have tested this method, with a 50 hour save file on Steam, which I successfully imported into the XBox Game Pass PC version of Starfield.
Understanding a little bit about the saved game system will also enable you to easily take backups of your Starfield saved game files, should you wish to backup and restore them in future.
You can transfer your Starfield save file from Steam to Xbox Game Pass by following these steps:
- Please note the location of the Steam save file, which is located in: Documents > My Games > Starfield > Saves.
- Make sure the XBox App and Starfield are not running.
- Download the Starfield XGP Save Importer from Github (here).
- Look under the Releases, and click the v0.0.2.
- Make sure that your browser saves the program (it may ask if you are sure) – the file on Github is not infected, but your operating system might warn about it
- Drag and drop your Steam save file onto the downloaded .exe file
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
- The program will convert your Steam save file into an Xbox Game Pass compatible format.
- Launch the XBox App / Starfield, and go to the Load Game screen to access your newly imported Character / Saved Game file.
If you do not wish to run an .exe from the Internet, you can use the source code and run it in Python, using the method below (thanks to “ilikespiders” on Reddit).
- Install Python: If you haven’t installed Python yet, you’ll need to do so. Download it from https://www.python.org/downloads/. Follow the installation instructions, and make sure to check the box that says “Add Python to PATH” during installation.
Download the Script
- Open the GitHub Repository: Navigate to the GitHub repository at https://github.com/Z1ni/XGP-save-extractor.
- Download the Repository: Click on the green Code
button, then select Download ZIP
- Unzip the File: Once downloaded, locate the ZIP file (usually in your Downloads
folder). Right-click on it and choose Extract All
. Extract it to a location of your choice. For this tutorial, let’s assume you’ve extracted it to C:\MyScripts
Open Command Prompt
- Access Command Prompt: Press Windows Key + R
to open the Run dialog box, type cmd, and press Enter.
Navigate to the Script’s Folder
- Change Directory: In the Command Prompt, type the following command to navigate to the folder where you extracted the GitHub repository
Run the Script
- Execute the Script: Now, type the following command to run the script:
python main.py Press Enter.
Note: If you have both Python 2 and Python 3 installed, you may need to use python3
instead of python
Check the Output
- After running the script, you should see ZIP files generated in the C:\MyScripts\XGP-save-extractor-main
folder. These ZIP files contain the save files for Starfield.
This should generate steam compatible SFS files.